How to prepare for XAT exam? Or How to crack the XAT exam or Strategy to attempt the XAT exam? These are some common questions which arise in the mind of the XAT 2020 exam test takers. XAT or Xavier Aptitude Test is the national level entrance exam organized by Xavier Labor Relation Institute (XLRI), Jamshedpur on behalf of Xavier Association of Management Institute (XAMI). XAT 2020 is expected to be conducted tentatively on 05th January, 2020. The exam duration is of 3 hours, and the mode of examination will be online. Additionally, more than 100 other top institutes like SPJIMR, IMT, XIMB and many more, take admissions to their management programs using the XAT score. XAT Exam Preparation will be discussed below.
There is no specific date or time to begin XAT preparation or any examination, but you must have at least six to eight months in hand before the date of the XAT examination. With the increasing number of candidates appearing for the XAT examination each year, the level of difficulty of the examination has also shot up a notch. Cracking the XAT exam requires conceptual knowledge along with out of the box thinking.
Subscribe to latest updates from MBAVilla.com
Key changes in the XAT 2020 Syllabus & Pattern
- The XAT syllabus has changed the number of sections from an earlier 5 to now four sections. The total number of question in each section has also been changed. Earlier there used to be an essay writing section which was removed from 2019 onwards. Four sections of the XAT are VA RC, Decision Making, Quantitative Aptitude and Data interpretation & General Knowledge. VA RC, Decision Making, Quantitative Aptitude and Data interpretation comprises of Part 1 of the exam, and Part 2 is comprised of General Knowledge. Only part 1 of the exam is considered while calculating the XAT final percentile.
- Decision making remains the most relevant section in XAT 2020 as no other management entrance examination has this section. This section requires additional preparation efforts as compared to other management exams.
XAT Exam Preparation Strategy
To attain success in a venture, it is essential that a proper strategy must be devised in good time to work upon and execute the plan as thought. In today’s date, with the competition shooting up to moons and stars, every candidate must push himself or herself to stay ahead of the others in the same race.
You should plan out your way given several aspects, for instance, preparing your exam routine, plan out your study time and taking up mock tests, time management. Your planning must take into account the following: being thorough with the marks distribution structure, the pattern and the syllabus of the examination, the conceptual topics as well as the topics that need practice and the kind of questions asked. Also, taking compiled mock tests and timed tests and the most important, being patient, calm and composed through the exam; after all, “Patience is the key”. XAT pattern must be understood carefully to devise a strategy on How to prepare for XAT exam? and How to crack XAT exam?
XAT Exam Syllabus
The XAT Syllabus can be divided into three parts: Concept Driven, Practice Intensive and General Awareness sensitive. Quantitative Aptitude and particular areas of Verbal Ability and Logical Reasoning are highly conceptual; Decision Making and Analytical Reasoning are purely practice based sections, whereas General Knowledge is based on the candidate’s general awareness. The XAT exam poses a different exam pattern as it has an additional part of Decision Making. This is an area that checks your management aptitude by presenting different situation based questions asking you to give the correct course of action in these situations. XAT syllabus must be read carefully to devise a strategy on How to prepare for XAT exam? and How to crack XAT exam?
XAT Exam Pattern
|XAT 2020 Section||Number of Questions||Marks for Correct Answer||Negative Marks||Time Duration|
|Part-1||74 Total MCQs||165 Minutes|
|Verbal and Logical Ability||26||+1||0.25 for incorrect responses and additional -0.10 per question for leaving more than eight questions un-attempted||No Sectional Time Limit|
|Quantitative Ability & Data Interpretation||27||+1|
|Part-2||25 Total MCQs||15 Minutes|
|General Knowledge||25||+1||No Negative Marking|
|Total questions (Part 1 + Part 2)||99||180 Minutes|
- Examination date: 05th January 2020
- Mode of Examination: Online
- Total number of questions: 99
- Time duration: 3 hours
- No negative marking in the General Knowledge Section
- +1 mark for each correct answer
- -0.25 mark for each wrong answer in VA RC, Decision Making and Quantitative Aptitude & Data Interpretation
- Beyond 8 unanswered questions, -0.10 mark for each unanswered question (not applicable on the GK section)
XAT Exam Preparation
XAT Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension Preparation
- Critical Reasoning and Reading Comprehensive areas dominate this section.
- The section focuses on Reasoning Skills. Purely vocabulary based questions are rarely asked.
- For solving reading comprehensions, grasping the topic and then answering the questions is a must. Build a habit of reading at least two passages a day.
- Consistent practice is essential to have a good command over verbal ability.
- Based on past trends, XAT also has a poem based RCs. Try to solve the previous year XAT papers for practice.
XAT Quantitative Aptitude and Data Interpretation Preparation
- The key to cracking this section is being well versed with the conceptual details and shorts cuts. Knowing the shortest possible way to the correct result is more important than knowing just the correct result.
- Questions are from topics like Geometry, Number System, Functions, Permutations & Combinations and Data Interpretation.
- A stronghold on the important concepts of the above topics and a good practice on their application will give you a good score on this section.
- Try to practice questions from the previous year XAT papers to benchmark your XAT preparation level and to strategize the same to crack the XAT exam
XAT Decision Making Preparation
- Decision-Making section is a unique part of XAT the examination; not a section in any other MBA examination.
- Decision-Making section consists of various business as well as everyday situations; the candidate will make a decision based on the given case that how he or she encounters the situation.
- The different kind of questions posed in this section are financial issues involving sales, revenues of a company, ethical dilemmas, employee management issues and general management scenarios.
- Your decision is judged on that it should be unbiased, ethical, and balanced in the eyes of all the stakeholders involved as well as such that it fulfills the case objectives as a managerial authority.
- You must practice last year Decision Making Question to devise a strategy How to prepare for XAT exam? and How to crack XAT exam?
XAT General Knowledge Preparation
- There is a greater emphasis on economic and business-related, finance and environmental issues.
- Having an account of happenings of the past six months is a must.
- You should have an insight of the various awards and the awardees, books and authors, geography, history, science, inventions and discoveries.
XAT 2020: Preparation Material
The candidate must make use of all online and offline resources like books, e-books, video lectures and online timed mock examinations for XAT exam preparation. For the GK section, you must be well aware of the current affairs from the past six months by reading newspapers and magazines, namely, The Hindu, The Indian Express, Economic Times, Frontline, Outlook, Business World, and many more. The candidate must be equipped with the following:
- Latest RC Passages and practice questions provided by coaching centres like TIME and CL, etc.
- Editorial and short articles from English Newspapers.
- ‘Word Power Made Easy’ by Norman Lewis.
- ‘High School English Grammar and Composition’ by Wren and Martin.
- XAT Previous year question papers
- Quantitative Aptitude by Arun Sharma
Last Updated on