IIFT 2019 is a national level examination for students who want to pursue a career in the field of management. It is conducted every year by IIFT Delhi and is an examination for admission to their MBA program (specialization- International Business). IIFT 2019 notification is not out yet but based on the past trends IIFT 2019 is likely to be conducted on Sunday 1st December 2019. IIFT exam is an offline pen and paper mode exam which will be conducted across 20 cities in India for admission to 600 seats in three IIFT campus namely IIFT Delhi, IIFT Kolkata, and IIFT Kakinada. Below are some brief details about the IIFT exam syllabus.
The online registration process for the exam will begin in August 2019, and the last tentative date for application will be in the second week of September 2019. The candidates qualifying in the IIFT written examination will appear in further rounds- writing test, Group Discussion (GD) and Personal Interview (PI).
|Exam level||National level examination|
|Frequency||Once a year|
|Language of the Examination||English|
|Conducting Body||Indian Institute of Foreign Trade|
Subscribe to latest updates from MBAVilla.com
IIFT Examination pattern at a Glance
|IIFT EXAM DATE||December 1, 2019||Mark your calendar accordingly|
|IIFT EXAM REGISTRATION START||In the last week of July or in the First week of August 2019|
|Exam Type||Objective - Multiple Choice Questions||Out of 4 given choices you have to mark one correct alternative.|
|Total Questions||100-150(in 2018 there were 114 questions, in 2017 there were 114 questions, and in 2016 there were 123 questions)||Questions are divided into 4-6 sections. Sections include Verbal Reasoning, Reading Comprehension, Quantitative Aptitude, Logical Reasoning, Data Interpretation and Current Affairs. There is a separate sectional cutoff as well as an overall cutoff for the IIFT exam.|
|Time Limit||120 minutes (2hours)||There is no sectional time limit like that of in CAT Exam, which means you are free to do any section in these 2 hours.|
|Negative Marking||0.33 (1/3) marks are deducted as penalty for the wrong answer.|
|Sectional Cut Off||Yes||Sectional cutoff is not constant and vary year to year & section to section.|
IIFT 2019 Syllabus
Candidates who are willing to appear for the entrance exam of IIFT Delhi, IIFT Kolkata and IIFT Kakinada must be well aware of the syllabus for the same. The institute does not provide with an official syllabus, and it might be slightly different every year from the preceding year. But following the trend of the questions and IIFT previous years question paper, the syllabus is comprised of different topics from various sections which are namely English Grammar, Vocabulary, Reading Comprehension, Logical Reasoning, Data Interpretation, General Knowledge & Current Affairs, and Quantitative analysis. If the candidate is well aware of the syllabus beforehand, he or she will have an ample amount of time to prepare themselves as well as have an action plan for the best possible outcome.
Changes in the IIFT Syllabus
IIFT 2018 pattern was similar to that of IIFT 2017. That is it comprises of 6 sections from Verbal Reasoning, Reading Comprehension, Logical Reasoning, Data Interpretation, Quantitative Aptitude, and General Knowledge in a total of 114 questions. In total candidate need to qualify the six sectional cutoffs along with the overall IIFT exam cutoff to be eligible for the further admission process. IIFT 2019 pattern is expected to be in the same lines as of IIFT 2018.
Following changes in the syllabus and pattern of the examination have come into effect as of IIFT2019:
• Number of Sections: The total number of sections for the examination has increased to 6 from the earlier four sections.
• Verbal ability and Reading Comprehension have been put now as separate sections with individual cutoffs.
• Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning have also been put now as different sections with individual cutoffs. The candidates cannot compensate DI questions to LR questions or vice-versa.
• Number of Questions: The total number of questions have been decreased to 114 from the earlier total of 123 questions.
IIFT 2019 Marking Scheme
IIFT exam pattern is not fixed and vary year to year. Based on IIFT 2018, IIFT 2019 pattern is expected to be as follows. This pattern is just a tentative pattern however actual pattern may vary in the IIFT 2019 exam as exam pattern is not revealed before the exam, but broadly IIFT 2019 exam will test your skills on Verbal Reasoning, Reading Comprehension, Logical Reasoning, Data Interpretation, Quantitative Aptitude, and General Knowledge. The expected marking scheme of IIFT 2019 based on the examination of the previous year is as follows:
|IIFT 2019 Exam Pattern (Tentative)|
|Section Number||Section||No. of Questions||Marks per question||Negative Marks/question||Total Marks|
IIFT Syllabus: Detailed View
|Section||Pattern of section||Topic|
|Verbal ability and Reading Comprehension||• Type of questions: MCQs (Multiple Choice Questions)||• Reading comprehension: Passages based on Current Affairs: Business and Economy, social scenario of the country, international happenings and their impact on the country, etc.
• Paragraph formation
• Synonyms and antonyms
• Filling up appropriate words
• Finding and correcting grammatical errors
• Punctuations and Prepositions
• Words and their meanings
• Idioms and Phrases
• Finding the odd word
• Figures of Speech
|Logical Reasoning||• Type of questions: MCQs (Multiple Choice Questions)||• Comparisons
• Team-based questions
• Calendars and Clocks
• Coding and Decoding
• Seating arrangements
• Blood Relations
• Linear word formations
• Direction Sense
• Series and Analysis
|General Knowledge and Current Affairs||• Type of questions: MCQs (Multiple Choice Questions)||• Politics and Social Scenario
• Books and authors
• Government policies impacting business in India
• Various awards and their awardees
• International affairs
• Industrial knowledge
|Quantitative Analysis||• Type of questions: MCQs (Multiple Choice Questions)||• Number System
• Time and Distance
• Geometry (Lines, angles, triangles, spheres, rectangles, cube, cone,etc.)
• Ratios and proportion
• APs and GPs
|Data Interpretation||• Type of questions: MCQs (Multiple Choice Questions)||• Comparative study analysis of Data Tables
• Charts and Graphs with Tables
• Pie Charts and Tables
• Bar charts and Comparative Tables
Important Points about the IIFT exam
- Admission in IIFT is not based on your CAT score. IIFT conducts its examination based on which candidates are given admission to three campuses under IIFT, that are IIFT Delhi, IIFT Kolkata, and IIFT Kakinada.
- Common Admission Test (CAT) and IIFT have different patterns of examination. CAT exam is divided into three sections: Verbal Reasoning and Reading Comprehension, Logical Reasoning and Data Interpretation, and Quantitative Analysis with a sectional time limit of one hour for each section. However, in the IIFT exam, there is an additional section comprising of questions from General Knowledge and Current Affairs which is a significant portion of the paper. This additional sectional of the IIFT exam requires extra preparation efforts from the beginning of your IIFT Exam Preparation.
- There is a negative marking of (1/3)rd of the total marks allotted to the question in the IIFT exam. There is no negative marking for the un-attempted questions.
- You can use previous year IIFT Question Papers for preparing for the IIFT exam, but it is to note that the pattern of the exam changes frequently and syllabus also varies every year. So you need to be well aware of the present pattern and syllabus. You can always have the old papers for guiding yourself through the kind of questions that might be asked.
Last Updated on