IIFT Exam or Indian Institute for Foreign Trade Exam for the admission to its 2-year flagship course in MBA(IB), conducted its entrance exam on 2nd December 2018 across 20 cities in India. The exam time duration was of 2 hours from 10:00 am to 12:00 noon, a mixed expression can be seen on the faces of students as soon as they came out from their examination center. For some GK was tough, and some faced difficulty in the verbal ability section. Bus as last year Data Interpretation was reported as lengthy and calculation intensive. Below is the IIFT 2018 Exam Analysis.
Overall it was seen that the paper was quite challenging from last year, with pattern almost being same as the previous year; 6 sections, maximum 100 marks in 2 hours, only marking scheme and number of questions within the sections were different as compared to IIFT 2017.
This year IIFT exam was more on the difficult side rather than being on the moderate side because of this reason the cut off was low, official cutoff released by IIFT reflects that 32.25 marks out of a total of 100 marks were the cutoff, General Category Male. Cutoff for all the categories will be discussed below. The exam followed the same pattern as the previous year for marking, that is, 0.5 to 1 marks for correct response and there is a negative marking of 1/3 of the total marks allotted to that question. There was no negative marking for the un-attempted questions.
This article provides complete details about IIFT Exam Analysis 2018, so before beginning, let’s have an overview of the exam:
- IIFT 2018 Exam consisted of six sections namely Verbal Reasoning, Reading Comprehension, Quantitative Aptitude, Logical Reasoning, Data Interpretation, and Current Affairs.
- There was a total of 114 questions for 100 marks.
- In the Reading Comprehension section, the passage was seen to have some lengthy passages.
- This year LR was on the easier side, but I was intensive in the calculative side.
- Since this exam has less time per question than other MBA entrance exams, so time management and selection of questions for attempt become an essential aspect to crack the IIFT exam.
Subscribe to latest updates from MBAVilla.com
IIFT Exam Pattern 2018
|IIFT 2018 Exam Pattern
|Section Number||Section||No. of Questions||Marks per question||Negative Marks/question||Total Marks|
The paper was quite tough though there were questions from each section which were easy and can be easy to do; all one needs to find those easy-peasy ones and solve them. It was seen that if in this IIFT Exam one would do fewer questions and focus more on questions from the section of his/her strength, he/she can be able to do get a good score.
IIFT Exam 2018 Logical Reasoning Analysis
|S. No.||QUESTION TYPE||Question Description||NUMBER OF QUESTIONS|
|1||MATRIX ARRANGEMENT||6 friends working in different companies and staying in different hotels.||4|
|2||Matrix arrangement||4x3 matrix of code-words||4|
|3||BINARY LOGIC||Birthday party||3|
|4||CIRCULAR ARRANGEMENTS||8 persons discussing different issues||4|
|5||VENN DIAGRAM||3 set Venn diagram on types of goods||2|
|6||Input Output||Code for entry tickets||2|
|7||STAND ALONE QUESTION||Numerical Logic||1|
- Question were on arrangements, distribution, matrix formation etc.
- The difficulty of questions was moderate mostly, but some questions were difficult like the question on matrix formation.
- Overall the LR section has 20 questions with +1 marks for correct and -0.33 for incorrect one.
- The range of question was from moderate to difficult.
- The question on Matrix arrangements, code words were on the difficult side.
- Questions on binary logic, Venn diagram, and circular arrangements have questions in moderate to a difficult category.
- Problems of sequential output and one stand-alone question were on easy to medium side.
KEY POINT: Accuracy and Time Management is one the critical factor, so try to maintain about 80% accuracy in 22-27 min time for better result.
IIFT Exam 2018 Data Interpretation Analysis
|S. No.||QUESTION TYPE||NUMBER OF QUESTIONS|
|1||TABLE: SELECT ECONOMIC INDICATOR FOR DIFFERENT REGION AND DIFFERENT COUNTRIES OF THE WORLD.||4|
|2||BAR AND LINE GRAPH: OCCUPANCY RATE OF DIFFERENT HOTEL CHAIN||4|
|3||TABLE: GLOBAL REVENUE BREAK UP OF IBM||4|
|4||TABLE & STACKED GRAPH: LOGISTIC PERFORMANCE INDEX||4|
|5||TABLE AND GRAPHS: SET ON INDUSTRIES INDICATOR||4|
- The level of difficulty in this section was the same as the previous year.
- The questions were calculation intensive.
- There were five sets which have 4 question in each set.
- Unlike previous years there were no sets with 5 questions.
- One more critical point that one should not overlook is although the section involves intensive calculations and at the same time, the representation of data is also in much-complexed manner, which is a time-consuming issue.
- The only key-strategy to attempt this section is the selection of the set, i.e. which to try first and what at last, as this practice can save a lot of time.
The set on the economic indicator, occupancy rate, industry indicator can be kept in moderate to a difficult category.
- Set on revenue break up, and logistic performance one was comparatively easier.
- An attempt of 7-8 questions in 20-30 min can be considered to a good attempt.
KEY POINT: Being a calculative intensive section, one should practice making the calculation faster, for example, comparing decrement in quantities rather than subtracting whole, etc. Use of Vedic mathematics techniques in this section can be fruitful.
IIFT Exam 2018 Quantitative Analysis
|S. No.||QUESTION TYPE||NUMBER OF QUESTIONS|
- This Quantitative section was difficult than last year being in term of calculation, or logic etc.
- Generally, this section has few easy questions every year, but this year the stats of such questions goes low.
- Geometry and modern mathematics questions mostly dominated this section.
- This lengthier section requires an efficient strategy to crack.
- Questions include almost from all major areas, the topic of quantitative ability.
- The questions from these topics were asked:
- Polynomial, Quadratic Equations etc
- Percentage, Time-Work and Speed.
- Mensuration, Quadrilaterals, Circles, Triangles, Trigonometry.
- Functions, Probability, Set-theory, Logarithmic, AP-GP etc.
- An attempt to 9-10 questions in 30-40 min, is a good attempt in this section.
KEY POINT: Calculations, shortcut tricks, revision of concepts, are the essential pillars of this section. One must practice hard and try to achieve high in this section.
IIFT Exam 2018 Verbal Ability Analysis
|S. No.||QUESTION TYPES||TOTAL NUMBER OF QUESTIONS|
|3||IDENTIFY THE ORIGIN OF WORDS||4|
|6||IDENTIFY THE ERROR||2|
|7||FILL IN THE BLANKS||3|
|8||MATCH THE COLUMN||2|
- Many find this section difficult as this section got questions mainly from the English language.
- Rather than, like that of previous year questions which include questions of grammar etc., this year it was included spot the error type.
- Vocabulary type question dominates in this section.
- Overall whole section was tough, and one need to set strategy to do this section smartly.
- Questions of para jumble were comfortable and didn’t take much time.
IIFT Exam 2018 Reading Comprehension Analysis
|S. No.||QUESTION TYPE||TOTAL NUMBER OF QUESTIONS|
|1||MEANING OF CULTURE||3|
|4||COMPUTER SCIENCE AND LIBERAL ART||3|
- This section was seen to have long passages than last year.
- Most of the questions that were asked were inference type questions.
- There was a total of 5 passage that was asked, the previous year this count was 4.
- Overall the difficulty level of this section was moderate to difficult.
- The length of the passage was from 900 words to 1000 words.
- Questions asked requires a good comprehension skill as many of them ask about inferences and idea behind the passage.
IIFT Exam 2018 Current Affairs Analysis
- This section was more comfortable than last year general awareness section.
- The number of questions remains the same as that of the previous year.
- One must have sound knowledge to solve the problems of this section.
- This year the questions were quite lengthy, and it would require around 10-12 min to have a good attempt.
- The breakdown of the questions is as follows:
- CURRENT AFFAIRS
- WORLD TRADE
- INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS
KEY POINT: One should be consistent while preparing for this section as by analysing previous years questions, one can easily observe that there should be sound knowledge of the questions.
IIFT 2018 Official Cutoff
The pattern of the IIFT 2018 question paper was divided into six sections, namely Reading Comprehension, Verbal Ability, Data Interpretation, Logical Reasoning, Quantitative Aptitude, and Current Affairs. In total, there were 114 questions with variable marking in each section, which was to be attempted in 2 hours. Below is the sectional and the overall cutoff for the IIFT 2018 exam.
IIFT 2018 Sectional Cutoff
|IIFT Sectional Cutoff 2018|
|Verbal Ability||2.75 out of 15|
|Reading Comprehension||3.34 out of 16|
|Data Interpretation||1.01 out of 20|
|Logical Reasoning||2.36 out of 20|
|General Knowledge||1.14 out of 9|
|Quantitative Aptitude||2.34 out of 20|
IIFT 2018 Overall Exam Cutoff
|Overall IIFT 2018 Cutoff|
|For female candidates who have cleared all the sectional cut offs, the minimum marks have been lowered down by
|Category||Overall IIFT 2018 Cutoff|
|General / Open Category||32.25|
Last Updated on